This is the fourth Synced year-end compilation of “Artificial Intelligence Failures.” Our aim is not to shame nor downplay AI research, but to look at where and how it has gone awry with the hope that we can create better AI systems in the future.
Synced 10 AI failures of 2020:
– AI-Powered ‘Genderify’ Platform Shut Down After Bias-Based Backlash
– 94-Year-Old Granny Hoisted to Use Bank’s Facial Recognition System
– Malfunctioning Service Robots
– Deepfake Bots on Telegram Generate Fake Nudes of Women
– Publication of Study Using AI to “Predict Criminality” Based on Faces Blocked by AI Researchers
Read more: 2020 in Review: 10 AI Failures